Friday 21 March 2014

Digital Portait Project

 Photo 1 - Before: This picture is of my cousin Chelsea with her birthday cake. For whatever reason in this photo she was not smiling, and I thought that she had a great expression of sadness on her face.
After: Originally, I wanted to keep Chelsea and my Grandma in the photo together but they were expressing different emotions so instead, since I wanted to portray a feeling of sadness, I decided to remove my family and the background completely, and put in a group of children behind Chelsea. In the background photo (children bullying background) there were four children. I had to take one out so I could put Chelsea in. The child I took out was a girl who had pigtails in her hair so that is why the boy's back looks slightly misshapen. I wanted to convert this whole photo into black and white, or just Chelsea, but I chose to convert only the bullies into black and white because the various colours of their clothing were very distracting, and with Chelsea being coloured, there is a greater focus on her.

Photo 2: This picture is of Katie, and was taken in a hallway upstairs against some lockers. To make this photo look interesting, I cropped it using the rule of thirds, with Katie off to the right side. I really like the expression of happiness on her face (it was a real laugh not posed). To improve this photo's emotion, I made a gradient background. I used the blue and yellow colours from Katie's shirt, mostly because they looked nice together, and the yellow in the background seems to act like a bright light/sun that brings a happy glow to the picture. Also I used the "poster edges" effect on Katie so that the gradient background wouldn't look as fake with her in front of it.  

Photo 3:
This is a photo of Kara looking out the window in one of the hallways upstairs. In the original photo, there were many lockers behind Kara's back, so I cropped them out, also using rule of thirds, so they wouldn't be so distracting. Also in the original photo, there were vents on the roof outside of the window, so I took them out using a clone stamp of the snow that was around them. After I finished that, I converted the picture to black and white to give it a more dramatic feeling.

2 comments:

  1. Carissa, in the first photo, did you take the photo of the background kids or is it taken from the internet. This is important. You can't just take someone else's photo and add it to yours. The best thing is to stick to your own work, but if you need to use an internet image you should identify who took that image.
    I think your use of colour in #2 is very effective. The cropping in #3 would be easier to appreciate if you had shown the before image. I like the blank window because it amplifies the sense of gazing into nothingness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, in the first photo I used a picture from the internet. I am sorry I didn't know that I could not use one. If I had known I probably would have just taken my own picture or not used the one of my cousin at all. I apologize and here is the link for where I got the background photo https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRzkcUnLlDKSpA5ICxYrZ-1yX3O6E0dGucTnZL0llwjveph6oJe

    ReplyDelete